Giving real meaning to service learning
Dear MYP3 Students,
The MYP3 Community Project is a major activity for you to complete in year three (8th grade) of the MYP program at Matija Gubec International School.
The community project focuses on community and service and gives you an opportunity to develop awareness of needs in various communities and address those needs through service learning. As a consolidation of learning, the community project engages in a sustained, in-depth inquiry leading to service as action in the community.
The community project is completed individually or in groups of a maximum of three students. The choice of the topic for the project is made in consultation with an IB teacher who has the responsibility for supervising the development of the project according to the Community project objectives and assessment criteria published in the IB Projects Guide.
The aims of MYP projects are to encourage and enable you to:
- participate in a sustained, self-directed inquiry within a global context
- generate creative new insights and develop deeper understandings through in-depth investigation
- demonstrate the skills, attitudes and knowledge required to complete a project over an extended period of time
- communicate effectively in a variety of situations
- demonstrate responsible action through or as a result of learning
- appreciate the process of learning and take pride in their accomplishments.
While this project may seem like quite a bit of work, we are confident the rewards will be even greater, both for you as a student and the community whose need you chose to address.
- Community Project Student Handbook
- Community Project Parent Handbook
- Community Project Supervisor Handbook
- Community Projects Summary 2021/2022
- Community Projects Summary 2020/2021
- Community Projects Summary 2019/2020
- Community Projects Summary 2018/2019
- Community Projects Summary 2017/2018
- Charity Tombola 2018
- IT workshops
Good luck, MYP Teachers